Based at Central European University (CEU) in Budapest, the Center for Media and Communication Studies (CMCS) acts as a bridge between East and West by conducting cutting-edge research and providing valuable expertise for academia, NGOs, policy-makers and regulators.
The Center offers innovative courses in media and communication studies across various CEU departments, organizes workshops, lectures and conferences on current developments in the field, and operates within an international network of acclaimed scholars and academic institutions.
One of the features of the CGCS-CMCS partnership is the creation of a two-year Annenberg Post Doctoral Fellowship in Global Communication Studies. The first post-doc, Kate Coyer, spent her fall semesters at Annenberg and her spring semesters at CEU and is currently the director of CMCS.
CMCS activities include:
- Annual CEU Summer University Course organized with CGCS
- ICA Regional Conference: Beyond East and West: Two Decades of Media Transformation after the Fall of Communism (June 25 – 27, 2009)
- Enabling Europe: The Future of Policymaking around Citizens’ and Community Media (May 16-18, 2007)
- ICA Pre-Conference: Influencing Outcomes: Communications Research and Global and Regional Policy Transformations” (June 16-17 2006)
- Re:Activism conference, an International Conference on the Fate of Activism in the Digital Age (October 14 – 16, 2005)
- Coordination of the 4-year A30 COST Action “East of West: Setting a New Central and Eastern European Media Research Agenda,” which seeks to develop a cutting edge, joint European social science research agenda with a clear focus on newly emerging problems of Central and Eastern European media in a comparative perspective.